8/28/2006 | :/ gutted!
For the first time in my life, I'm not going "back to school" with everyone else. How depressing. I have to work. For the rest of my life. Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK ok, I am technically still going to school. I'm getting my master's in IT and taking two classes (Software Engineering and an Algorithms class). But, I'm also working full time, so I have work and class. I'm in for some loooooooooooooooooooong days ahead. I already know that Thursday will be a 12+ hour day. Hopefully I'll have some downtime at work, and can study when I don't have anything to do.

Sometimes, I question my career choice. The job I originally accepted was as a Systems Engineer for a different part of my company. It paid a LOT. More than I make now (about $5,000 more). But, because of the state of things (*cough*IraqWar*cough*) there wasn't a lot of new work coming in, and they didn't have actual work for us new hires to do. I would have had to do a temporary assignment - meaning a 10% (temporary?) raise, all living/food/transportation expenses paid, in sunny San Jose, CA.

Yes. I could have been on the beach right now, living it up. Instead, I got myself into a Leadership Development Program where I go to conferences, grad school (they pay UPFRONT! no tuition cap! at a good/expensive university), and do rotations in my job. It's a pretty good way to climb up the ladder more quickly, and also a way to ensure that I will be getting my Master's instead of putting it off (or taking 6 years). Plus, I have this pesky grant from the state that requires me to work and live in PA for each year I got it (3) or I'll have to pay it back....... yeah.

Many times I wish I was basking on the beach in sunny CA instead of putting in what I've been warned will become 50-60 hour weeks of work & school. Like now. I want to go on vacation!

I was all ready to start my new domain! Then, I realized that classes start this week, so I have less time. Then, little bro moves back to college (and I acquire the brothers' old room, which is huge). Nice! But I have to decorate. Even less time. (and i've been putting together ideas, but still don't really love anything)

Then, the first PSU Football game is this weekend! I hate football, but going to games is fun. Tailgating is fun. Getting drunk and screaming along with 110,000 fans? Also fun! (you can hear the noise from miles away, it's amazing)

So, this eats up my weekend (along with decorating and painting.) In all probability? I'll make my new website in spite of all this. Procrastination is what I do best.

// posted by Sasha @ 8/28/2006 10:04:00 PM

Comments: "For the rest of my life"

UUUUUUUUUgh, tell me about it!!!

A friend of mine in engineering did something very similar to you. He was really happy with the choice when it was all done & over.

Go with simple clean designs in the room. I think it'll look great and will save you the much needed time than something super complicated.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8/29/2006 10:25 AM  

I know what you mean about that new school feeling that you get around the end of August. I always worked at a university so I never noticed how much I missed it until this year. It's pretty sad.
# posted by Blogger Sapphirefly : 8/29/2006 11:51 PM  

at least i'm not alone :)
# posted by Blogger Sasha : 8/31/2006 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?