8/15/2006 | Yummy yummy in my tummy
I had dinner last night (Monday) with Mat's family (his mom was there, and cooked). Tasty! I got pissed off at him b/c he wasn't there when I showed up (he said he was "stuck at the golf course." boo hoo.) But the evening was actually pleasant.

Mat is in a weird situation b/c his dad lost his job a few months ago and could not find a new one in Pittsburgh (depressed city! he's from an old coal-mining town, that is also referred to as "Helltown"). He found one sort of near where Mat lives, so his dad lives with him durng the week.. kind of awkward! But he should be moving out soon.

I don't really like Mat's dad. He's nice enough, but I don't think he makes very intelligent decisions and doesn't "get" things. Not that he's stupid, but just someone who doesn't "get" it. He is easily pushed around and believes easily what other people tell him. I feel kind of bad because he doesn't make much money (even though he's an engineer, I make a lot more just starting out of college). Mat once told me that the town where he grew up is not where his mom wanted to live. You see, Mat's dad (before Mat was born) his dad bought land for a house in a new subdivision without talking to his mom. No warning.

Asshole! I would have flipped out right there. But apparently, "it was ok" because "Mat's grandfather said it was a good piece of land." Um yeah. I know Mat isn't like that, but it bothers me. I think maybe it's just the old-school Italian culture (actually, not that old-school). He has a grandmother that lives with his family at home, and another one just down the street. They cook and clean all day (and argue with each other about it). I had to teach him things like how to vaccuum and what toilet bowl cleaner was (and also why you shouldn't wear tube socks with shorts, though that was just a few weeks ago, oh dear lord)

I made sauce tonight from tomatoes I picked over the weekend. Hundreds of tomatoes later, I am done! But it's worth it. See the things I learned from dating Mat?? haha

// posted by Sasha @ 8/15/2006 12:06:00 AM

Comments: Mat's Dad sounds a lot like my Mom. My Mom trusts people and their words too much. And in that way she is also WAY too stubborn. Hopefully he'll move out of Mat's though soon, that IS awkward.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8/15/2006 10:00 AM  

Yeh Sasha, I'm half Italian and I should know - old male woggies are chauvinists.
It's good you've started training him, and you've got him young.
Well done with the tomatoes, if you really want to impress him then try and nab his favourite recipe of his Mum. Tell her you need to learn how to cook Italian food so that you can be a good cook for when you get married, and take care of him as well as she has - that should get you the keys to the recipe' draw.
# posted by Blogger freelance_alicia : 8/15/2006 12:26 PM  

LOL Mat's dad sounds juuuust like my dad. Even the "buying land" part. When I was 4 years old, my dad conviced my mom to sell our house, which was located in one of THE best places in the city, for half the price it was worth. And for what? To buy a "nice little" ugly house (actually it had such a basic structure that it could hardly be called a house) in the middle of nowhere. And the best part? The house was located LITERALLY next to a DUMP. The stench was horrible! Thankfully we only lived there for 2 years. When I said "basic structure" I should have added: no water, no electricity and no gas. Yeah... my dad is an idiot. My mom was even more of an idiot for falling for that idea!
# posted by Blogger algelic : 8/15/2006 1:05 PM  

ha, thanks for the advice y'all
# posted by Blogger Sasha : 8/15/2006 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?