8/17/2006 | Musings

Thank you both for your comments! They do help, a lot. I think it's hard coming to realize the truth about love... I always imagined that this would be quite simple. ha ha. Yes, those people who say "you'll know" must be full of it. There is definitely not one right person out there.

I think I also need to learn to chill the fuck out and stop analyzing everything and actually try to make it work before I give up. My attitude is making things worse than they need to be, and I'm becoming annoyed easily (and also being annoying as well!).

If I did break up with him though, I KNOW I would regret it.

I have some (most likely unrealistic) expectations of the things I want in life, and am having trouble seeing how well Mat and I would be able to fit things into the picture. Some of the things that bother me are all quite stupid and superficial though (such as - what if I eventually have children and want to stay at home with them, but can't because Mat won't make enough money? And then I'll be guilted into working forever because I make more. Or that, he will not stand up for himself when he needs to and become like his dad career-wise). Would it really be the end of the world though? Absolutely not. I need to get over this!

I live in Yuppieland, USA and also want my picture-perfect American Dream, where I can have the perfect relationship/career/children/house/car/life. Which is dumb because I know nobody actually has this, but everyone here is sure pretty great at pretending they do.

I'm also young and have mostly just spent time with Mat... I haven't really ever experienced the "dating world" full on. I don't know whether or not this bothers me.

I don’t want a relationship with someone else, but I like being independent and not having to worry about other people. I like being able to be selfish (for now). I want life to exist in a perfect bubble where I can do things like move, travel for work, get a PhD without having to worry about upsetting someone else’s life as well.

So today, feeling optimistic, I definitely want to try to have a better relationship.

I'm glad I started this blog, it gives me somewhere to let this all out (and it's not illegibly scrawled in a notebook, so I can actually go back and read it!)

I only meant this entry to be five sentences, MAX. I have a verbosity problem (and overly long sentence problem). When I gave my grad school admission essay to my friend Emily (English minor) to proofread, she gleefully informed me that with a few changes, I could make it into one very long (but grammatically correct!) sentence.


// posted by Sasha @ 8/17/2006 10:44:00 PM

Comments: How long have you two been dating again? (sorry.) I think your ideas about the career Dad thing are important, but also flexible too. Like, you said, just HOW important is it? Ya know?! hahaha.

I'm the same with "the dating world." But then I get on the metro & a total perv hits on me and I know I'm happy with Mike, hahahahaha!!!!

But all joking aside, I'm glad the blog has helped you, writing everything out is never an unhealthy exercise.

Mike & I have had "Date Night" for about 6 months now. It's every Thursday and we try to go to & try different things. So it's not boring. He started it & honestly, it does help as long as you keep it up.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8/18/2006 10:08 AM  

We've been dating about 4 years.

I think I'm paranoid about these things because a LOT of my friend's parents have broken up for similar reasons (not over things like extramarital affairs, but over money!!) haha. It's not really important to me right now, but I'm afraid it will be in the future (which I think I'm beginning to realize is dumb, and I should just enjoy things and not try to ruin them)

Yes, we went on a date last night and it helped :) I think we will have to do it more regularly, after I get back from a work/travel thing next week. Then life will calm down and we will both actually have time for each other, woo.

Thanks for the insight!! It's FANTASTIC to be able to hear about someone else's relationship :)
# posted by Blogger Sasha : 8/18/2006 2:20 PM  

I feel a little funny commenting here because it's about your personal life, but I thought I'd like to throw in my own two cents. I'm around your age anyway and have been with my Jak for a long time.

We decided that one date night a week wasn't good enough, so we have two. Saturday night and Monday night. Saturday - because everyone wants to play on Saturday night and Monday because everyone's depressed about being back at work. It doesn't have to be fancy. It can just be video games, but we have to be together dipping our hands into the same popcorn bowl.

As for your worries about financial stability. Try to remember that even if you'll be really unwealthy - that it doesn't have to last forever. The time you spend with your little children is extremely precious and it doesn't last long before they are in school. It's only five years when we live to be 90 these days.

I just moved to a fancy little suburban area with my little family and the pressure to be like everyone else is sort of overwhelming, so I know a little bit about what you're talking about when you talk about requiring a certain amount of money. But since you're a bit of a hippy - you'll invent new ways to do things so that they're better/cheaper/faster and I think you'll find a great deal of satisfaction making things work. Like when both Jak and I were working when it was time for me to clean out the fridge I'd nearly empty out the whole thing because we'd eaten out or had forgotten about some things I'd made and put away, but now that doesn't happen so much. Things get eaten, unused stuff gets used, and honestly - since you're a professional woman who's used to utilizing resources and has probably adopted the motto of 'working smart instead of hard', you'll find that being a mother these days is WAY easier and funner than it was for your mother. I'm probably not one to talk since I haven't been a mom for very long, but I have the goal of getting all my kids out of my house by the time I'm 45. My idea is that my Jak and I will have a higher earning power then and we'll be able to do fun stuff when we're older. And having babies in your 20s is way easier and way less risky. So, people think I'm crazy for going about life the way I do (since I'm so young), but alas - it's my life and not theirs.

Hope things work out with you and your boy. Cheers!
# posted by Blogger Sapphirefly : 8/19/2006 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?