8/23/2006 | See Sasha whine. Whine, Sasha, whine.
I've been at a conference in DC all week.

ARRGH!! I'm going CRAZY here!!!!!!!

I'm so incredibly sick of being around people 100% of the time. It's like freshman orientation at college, but lasting all week instead of a day. Every detail of the day is scheduled. We have classes, meetings, cafeteria meals, and "fun" events. I know we are supposed to get to know each other and bond and "network," but I haven't even really had any time to myself. This is the first real time I've had sit down for more than a few mintues and check email.

I need time to myself to "recharge." Being around people all day makes me cranky! I'm tired. I want to rest. Right now, I'm in my room being antisocial. I haven't even bothered to go get dinner yet, because I want time to myself to relax a little or I will be very cranky indeed tonight. I think I may skip it entirely :) The food here is horrible, anyways.

I hate the whole awkwardness of this prolonged social contact. The forced small talk. And the constant inquiries about my last name (yes, it is unusual and hard to pronounce. yes, it is Polish. I realize that only 1 of 10 letters is a vowel. Thanks for your witty insight!! see, I really am cranky ;) ) I just want to zone out a little and chill!! This is the whole being introverted thing. (i'm a INTJ in the Myers-Briggs test. Yes, I've been asked that this week!)

I'm not shy or antisocial. I got up to go running with my team at 6AM Monday AND Tuesday! (Luckily I was not the only one walking!) Yesterday night, I got dragged to the bar and ended up closing it. It's not that I'm antisocial - I can have fun, but I just don't want to. I hate uncomfortable situations. I need a nap. How bad would it be if I skipped this whole thing and just went to bed now?

We have another event tonight at 8, "food and fun." I really want to skip it, but I wonder if anyone would notice? I think I will go down and see what it is like, then leave right away :) The thing with so many people being here is that it's hard to find anyone I know (and then I just feel like a weirdo when I can't find anyone). YES, I realize that the whole point of this is to network and " make new friends," but really eveyone just hangs out with their friends. I feel weird and awkward and uncomfortable! Boo.

// posted by Sasha @ 8/23/2006 05:31:00 PM

Comments: LOL I know how horrible the whole "bonding" and "network" thing is. These last 2 years of school, my teachers kept organizing 3-day-long trips. They were supposed to make us, secondary school students, relax and interact with each other. What did it mean to me? Putting up with my annoying colleges... who would grab their guitars and play THE SAME SONG over and over and over again... for the whole 4-hour-long bus trip. It meant hell to me.

I hope I don't get a job where I actually have to "interact" a lot with my colleages. I just suck at small talk!!

Hold on! Be strong! It'll be over before you know it! ;)
# posted by Blogger algelic : 8/23/2006 6:02 PM  

aww :( thanks!

How old are you algelic? Just wondering :)

I feel bad because I'm being completely lame and not going. I have really bad cramps and am not in the mood. I feel so guilty though, because I probably could make myself go, at least for 20 minutes! I am squandering this opportunity! argh! but I really do have cramps.
# posted by Blogger Sasha : 8/23/2006 8:28 PM  

I'm 18 (well... I'll be in 2 weeks). Finally a legal adult! ^^

If I were you... I wouldn't go. LOL
# posted by Blogger algelic : 8/24/2006 6:20 AM  

I know how you feel. I am a natural introvert, but have learned to compensate over the years. I can turn on a more boisterous personality and have fun, but I need (and I do mean MUST) have time to think, sort and recharge.

Sometimes, usually in unavoidable situations, I feel like I am compensating too much and being a little phony. It is just that I have found that people judge you without looking very deep below the surface. If you do not share your thoughts, they assume you do not have any.

In many ways I feel my introverted nature is a gift. I have learned so much about human nature by watching and listening, especially during my teen years. I guess that's the perks of being a wallflower.
# posted by Blogger Too_Lively : 8/24/2006 8:54 AM  

Oh God... I ran away from Freshmen orientation. I can only imagine your torture!! I wish I remember my Myers-Briggs results. I did it in college. I'm the same, an introvert. I read this one thing that I really like. "extroverts feel energized when being in a social setting, while introverts find it draining."

I fear my job retreat will be SO similar. I for see myself in my room reading magazines "hiding" while there.

~sigh~ I hope food & fun wasn't too bad.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8/25/2006 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?