8/16/2006 | Dementia I
After I graduated from college, I had a couple months where I was just lounging around doing nothing (was supposed to travel, but my friend backed out b/c she got a job and had to start right away, boo). So, I would help my neighbor Kim by attempting to keep her 6-month old baby (Kacee) from crying while she was working at home and talking on the phone.

Kim's grandmother has dementia, and while her parents were on vacation for a week, the grandmother stayed with her.

The grandmother is obsessed with photos of her family, which includes her grandson Zach. Like I said, she has dementia, so she isn't quite all there and would engage me in the same conversation every 5 minutes. Enter "the photo."

"Look at my grandson Zach!" she proudly crowed, "isn't he handsome?"

I looked at the photo she was waving in the air. Except, it wasn't a photo. It was a "Saved by the Bell" trading card of Zach Morris, which had his picture, the "Saved by the Bell" logo (little squiggly signs and all), and the name "Zach" emblazoned on the front.

Then, Kim would storm into the room. "Grandma! That's not Zach, that's from a tv show! You got it out of a cereal box!" They would argue for awhile, then she would go back to work for awhile before the cycle repeated.

Baby Kacee would clap her hands and giggle.

// posted by Sasha @ 8/16/2006 11:17:00 PM

Comments: Can I just say, though this is very sad, that a Saved by the Bell card is too awesome to ignore... *smirk*

My Mom used to babysit a woman similar and it's a bit rough sometimes when they have really "bad" episodes :(.
# posted by Anonymous Anonymous : 8/17/2006 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?